FACULTY SENATE MEETING
August 18, 2000
MEMBERS PRESENT: G. Avent, P. Bagley, E. Bateman, J. Blach, D. Borino, J. Burns, F. Daniels, K. Dannehl, R. Doyle, C. Eikenberry, S. England, H. Estes, P. Fox, C. Ford, L. Frazier, S. Garcia, G. Goicoechea, E. Henderson, C. Hyslop, L. Hyslop, P. Josey, J. Kempster, J. Licht, K. Martin, C. McMullen, R. McNally, B. Murphy, S. Owen, L. Owens, M. Ports, M. Puccinelli, C. Pyatt, J. Rice, J. Sallaberry, K. Schwandt, J. Shaw, J. Shrock, R. Siler, G. Smith, P. Smith, T. Staley, S. Sweetwater, G. Tenney, S. Thomson, J. Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Vice President Carl Diekhans, Vice President Betty Elliott, ASB President Elisa Goyeneche
- ATTENDANCE: Silent roll was taken. Chair John Rice declared a quorum present.
- CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 1:18 p.m.
- ADJOURNMENT OF MAY 12, 2000, MEETING: A motion was made and unanimously passed to
adjourn the May 12, 2000, meeting. The meeting recessed pending action on the faculty salary
scheduled during the summer vacation.
- WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS : Chair John Rice welcomed everyone back to Senate. English
Instructor Steve England, Winnemucca Instructor Heather Estes, CFC Instructor Carol Ford,
Curriculum Specialist Lisa Frazier, ASB President Elisa Goyeneche, and COT Instructor Patrick
O'Hanahan were introduced.
- VICE PRESIDENT CARL DIEKHANS: The Vice President for Administrative Services was asked to
explain the approved funding formulas. Senate was instructed that these were not operational formulas
but funding formulas only. Programs such as Nursing must still fulfill their accreditation requirements.
The college must also continue to add smaller classes to balance the funding. Determining factors:
technological involvement vs. lecture. Any change must be articulated by a Chancellor's committee
and be valid throughout the system; however, once a course falls into a high category, it will most likely