The mission of the Teacher Education Program of Great Basin College is to provide a distinctive early childhood, elementary, secondary, and special education program for rural Nevada.
The Teacher Education Program is designed to develop competence, values, skills, and knowledge to promote lifelong learning and is distinctive in the following ways:
- We recognize and value diversity in the heritage and traditions of the region;
- We collaborate with the ten rural school districts and early childhood programs in the region to offer early and extensive clinical and field experiences throughout the programs;
- We utilize the professional expertise and contributions of faculty and staff in all academic disciplines and
- We utilize technology for distance education and delivering education courses in rural areas.
When you graduate from the Great Basin College Teacher Education Program, you will be prepared for certification by the Nevada Department of Education.
You can earn a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education. The Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education prepares students to teach grades kindergarten through eight. You will have the flexibility to choose from one several emphases or endorsements. You may find your strengths and interests lay in English, mathematics, social studies, or science. Special Education and Teaching English as a Second Language are two additional endorsement options. By choosing from one of these emphases or endorsement areas, you can enhance your teaching skills and improve your opportunities for employment.
- Contact Admissions and Records for admission procedures at 775.753.2102.
- Complete an official application for admission.
- Request that your official transcripts be sent to GBC.
- Contact the Teacher Education Department for advisement at 775.753.2177.