What is English Accuplacer?
The purpose of English Accuplacer testing is to provide students with useful information about their academic skills in English reading and writing. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with a person's academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to determine course selection. The English Accuplacer is a free examination for prospective and current GBC students. No appointment is necessary. It may take approximately 1-2 hours to complete. The exams are automatically graded, and students receive their scores and English class placements immediately.
Preparing for Accuplacer
Before arriving to the GBC Academic Success and Testing Center on the day of the exam, make sure you have done all of the following things to prepare yourself:
- Make sure you have applied to Great Basin College. If you have not, apply for admission to GBC online. You do not have to be currently enrolled in classes to take the Accuplacer; you only need to have applied for admission.
- Locate the GBC Testing Center on the Elko Campus or a rural GBC Center.
- Familiarize yourself with the Testing Center Rules and Regulations.
- Be prepared to present a picture ID upon arrival.
- All materials needed to take the Accuplacer exams, including calculators, will be provided by the testing center.
More information about English Accuplacer can be found at the GBC Academic Success Center on the Elko Campus, your local GBC Center, or at: