GBC Home
Academics at GBC
Dual Enrollment Program graphic

Welcome to the Dual Enrollment Program!

Dual credit courses allow high school students to obtain credits
for both high school and college at the same time.

Important Note to Parents and Students

GBC complies with the Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA). Parents will not have access to student grades, financial records, etc. High school students enrolled in dual credit courses are treated like any other college student. The student, and not the parent, must sign the appropriate approval forms, resolve concerns with course instructors, access his or her own grades, etc. All fees are due before classes begin. It is the student's responsibility to check for transferability of GBC courses to other educational institutions.

Each county school district in Nevada has its own policy regarding dual credit courses. As GBC learns each school district's policy, it will be posted below:

  • Elko County. Students should get advising from their high school counselor to select the courses that meet the requirements for high school graduation.
  • Eureka County Dual Credit Courses: The school district accepts all GBC English and math courses for dual credit. (Contact your high school counselor before enrolling.)
  • White Pine County List. Students should get advising from their high school counselor to select the courses that meet the requirements for high school graduation.
  • In Lander, Nye, and Humboldt Counties, ask your high school principal or counselor about dual enrollment.

Students and parents are advised to read the benefits and things to consider about dual enrollment before enrolling.

The steps for initially applying as a Dual Credit student are listed opposite. In addition, a High School Permission form is required for each semester in which a student wants to earn dual credit.

For more information, contact your high school counselor or the the GBC Director of Continuing Education at 775.753.2231.

Other Options for High School Students

Please see the High School Page
for additional options
available to students now in high school.


One-time Dual Credit Student Application

The following steps are required only upon initial enrollment:

  1. Discuss your intentions with your high school counselor or principal.
  2. Many courses (including English, Math, and Social Science) require that you take the Great Basin College Accuplacer test* or provide us with your ACT or SAT scores. Your test score determines your placement into GBC classes.
  3. Submit a GBC Application for Admission online.
  4. Submit a Special Admission
    Form for High School Students
    (PDF file*), signed by student and parent/guardian.
  5. Complete the Release of Student Grades to High School (PDF file*), signed by student so that the GBC grades can be released to the high school.

    *To arrange for the Accuplacer test, which is free, phone the GBC Admissions Office at 775.753.2102 or the nearest GBC Center.

Form to be Filed Each Semester

The following form is required each semester a student enrolls in courses for dual high school and college credit: High School Permission form (PDF file*). This form lists desired courses and must be signed by the student, the high school counselor, and the high school principal.

*Viewing requires the Adobe Reader plugin for your browser, available free at Adobe.   

Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775.738.8493
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0